Re: possible long-standing bug

Gene

The add-on is evidently being used that disables the numpad in its default functions for NVDA review commands. If this is done, NVDA 7 does function as home, its default function in Windows if no program is using that key for its own purpose. It should be specified that the add-on is being used if it is. Saying something like have the numpad off is confusing and isn't accurate. The numpad is functioning, it is performing its Windows functions.

From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2020 11:16 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] possible long-standing bug

This might sound like a silly question, but is your num-lock on? If it is not that might explain what's going on, maybe. If not, then feel free to write back. I use the laptop functions, so that's about all I know.

On 21 Nov 2020, at 21:13, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:

Hi all,
Please forgive me if I'm reporting in the wrong place, but I've
noticed a bug that has been kind of annoying since I've been primarily
using a laptop. I'd have to investigate whether or not NVDA reads
things as expected if I use the actual buttons, but if using the
numpad, it does not. For instance, with the numpad off, 7 acts as the
home key, with control+home moving to the top of the file. It's been a
while since I've tried this using the actual home key, but while
control+numpad 7 works as expected, there is no verbal indication that
it does so, it's only by using the arrow keys to move around the
document that you are made aware of the position change. Something
similar happens when switching sheets in Excel. The commands are
control+page up (numpad 9) and control+page down (numpad 3) to switch
between sheets. However, NVDA does not say the name of the sheet you
are working with until you take some other action on the sheet.
Bob