Re: possible long-standing bug

Bob Cavanaugh <cavbob1993@...>

I 100% agree, in fact I remember suggesting something very similar to
what this add-on does years ago. I'll have to check out how NVDA
responds when I get this installed, as this may solve the problem I am
describing. Some of the commands I'm used to work with only slight
modification, but again, NVDA doesn't read as expected. I've found
that numpad insert+the down arrow key works just fine to read to end
as does JAWS and System Access.

NVDA reads the top line if there is print on it. While people who use JAWS

grow used to such announcements as top, they really aren't necessary in my
opinion.

I can't say how others would react if such speech were added or if it should

be added as default behavior. I consider it to be annoyingly intrusive.

I can't comment on Excel (spelling) in terms of what feedback may be
important but when moving through a list of files, the top one is announced

when you move to it and the bottom one is. I already discussed documents.

You can read about and down load the add-on at:
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/numpadNavMode.en.html

The add-on allows the user to use numpad insert numpad 2 for read to end.
This may be a real convenience to JAWS users who are used to constantly
using that command. I have long thought that it should be made available in

NVDA because it is such a convenient way of initiating read to end. I can
move up and down by line using numpad 8 to move up and numpad 2 to move down

and use insert numpad insert 2 to initiate read to end when I get to where I

want to do that. Not only is it more convenient than any means available in

NVDA without changing input commands, but it is important for people with
problems using two hands. It is a very convenient one-hand command to
initiate read to end.

I think this is important enough that this add-on should be incorporated
into the core and that it be discussed on the transition page for JAWS users

and in the manual and training material.