moderated Re: RAM Problem with Dell computers that have Realtek HD Audio Driver, and NVDA or JAWS

luke scholey

I agree, good point raised. But I don’t want to automatically exclude NVDA or a 3rd party component that it uses unless I can prove it is dell. What if a tweak could be made within NVDA that detects this driver and fixes the leak. After all, anyone could find The source of the leak and fix it themselves if they know how, and have the appropriate access.

I think if it were possible to fix, we have better luck with NVAccess taking it seriously than dell.

Thanks also for updating the title.

All the best
Luke

On 30 Nov 2020, at 15:39, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

Luke,

         In this situation, you've pretty much effectively eliminated NVDA from the equation.  If NVDA were the source of the problem it should occur regardless of the device drivers in place.  Memory leaks, much like fluid leaks, have sources, and if you patch a given source and the leaking stops entirely, you know the culprit.

         Also note that Melissa states that she has the issue with either JAWS or NVDA, which points even more toward something external to either one of those programs as being the root cause.

         I hope someone reports these findings to Dell.  Many manufacturers, and Dell is one of them, customize device drivers provided by the actual hardware manufacturers to their own liking.  I've got Realtek audio drivers on several machines and have never encountered this issue either with JAWS or NVDA.  The finger is pointing directly at Dell and some tweak(s) they've made to the audio drivers they supply with their machines.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell