moderated Re: RAM Problem with Dell computers that have Realtek HD Audio Driver, and NVDA or JAWS

I just tried to do this using microsoft disability on be my eyes. She
could not locate any drivers other than real tech on my computer and
they will not install drivers not rec by manufacturer. She went to the
dell site and there was an Oct 27 update for real tech. So I installed
those... I hope that it does it but I have no confidence with real
tech to be honest.

I have more school work to do so I guess will update later.
On 11/30/20, luke scholey via groups.io
<l.scholey=lukescholey.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all

Just to add to this:

There seems to be an issue with some (but not all) new Dell laptops that use
a version of the Realtech audio driver and NVDA.

As stated below, there’s a memory leak with the Windows Audio Device Graph
Isolation (audiodg.exe) service. When using NVDA, especially for long
periods of time, this service eats all available ram and then starts
gobbling up virtual memory as well until the device blue screens. This is
limited to when NVDA speaks, my testing has revealed that if you leave NVDA
silent for a while, the memory slowly comes back down again. This leak also
doesn’t happen when other audio is playing so it seems to be a problem with
the way NVDA uses this service. But if you’re using one of these effected
laptops in a 9 til 5 job, over a few hours, the machine would become slower
and slower.

A temporary fix for this is to find the audio driver in use in the device
manager from hardware and sound, navigate to the sounds video and game
controllers category and update the audio driver. Instead of searching for
updates on the internet automatically, choose the manual option and select
the button that will allow the user to choose a driver from a compatible
list of drivers in the same category. Usually there will only be two drivers
in this list, the current Realtech driver and the default Windows 10 driver
which is called HD Audio from Microsoft. Click this driver to update and the
audio on the machine will stop. Restart the laptop to begin using the new
updated driver. Using this HD Audio driver, the issue is no longer present.

I’m not saying NVDA is at fault here because I don’t know enough about this
yet. It could be that the driver is the culprit, and NVDA is doing things
correctly but the driver is not handling NVDA very well.

So far I’ve tested this on Dell Inspiron laptops from the 570 range and
above, from Windows 10 1809 and above and NVDA 2019.1 and above.

Hope this helps.

Luke