moderated Re: RAM Problem with Dell computers that have Realtek HD Audio Driver, and NVDA or JAWS

Viewing the issues online again, it looks like del just doesn't really care or at least care to respond to put it mildly.

A load of people have had issues with dell and their drivers.

What is worse, realtech just don't have updated drivers over the 2.82 2017 drivers so bar getting them from microsoft well who knows.

There was an unofficial driver from alanfox2000 where he just pulled driect from realtech but realtech didn't like him transfering the site directly probably because there were hacked ftp accounts involved.

Pal1000 has made a driver but its a mashed together load of scripts and other hacked rubbish.

I mean if you want to try the universal hacked driver and that solves your issue fine.

free-codecs.com has the last realtech official driver ever released earlier this year but while I have it on a few systems it has a lot of major bugs the biggest is that if you have a problem with the your speakers and unplug them,and plug in something else, then plug the speakers back they will not work unless you reboot with your device unplugged and hope sound comes back.

Or reinstall the driver.

There is also the last windows 1909 driver from windowsupdate itself which may have enough for you.

Finally there are these

https://github.com/kevinshroff/KSMRD-Modded-Realtek-Audio-Drivers

and

https://github.com/distantorigin/XPS-Enhancements

Aparently most of this stuff and all the issues have to do with waves max.

Why dell does not care to fix their stuff is beyond me but its certainly working.

I have had friends with units having other issues and there was the exploding batteries thing a while back.

Its obvious how dell stuff is designed and how it runs itself.

Its a good antiselling point.

There is no way in heck I will ever buy one ever!

On 1/12/2020 4:15 am, luke scholey via groups.io wrote:
Hi Melissa

I know how annoying this can be. See my message below for instructions on how to sort it.

Let me know if you need anymore detailed steps.

All the best
Luke

On 30 Nov 2020, at 12:17, luke scholey via groups.io <l.scholey@...> wrote:

Hi all

Just to add to this:

There seems to be an issue with some (but not all) new Dell laptops that use a version of the Realtech audio driver and NVDA.

As stated below, there’s a memory leak with the Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation (audiodg.exe) service. When using NVDA, especially for long periods of time, this service eats all available ram and then starts gobbling up virtual memory as well until the device blue screens. This is limited to when NVDA speaks, my testing has revealed that if you leave NVDA silent for a while, the memory slowly comes back down again. This leak also doesn’t happen when other audio is playing so it seems to be a problem with the way NVDA uses this service. But if you’re using one of these effected laptops in a 9 til 5  job, over a few hours, the machine would become slower and slower.

A temporary fix for this is to find the audio driver in use in the device manager from hardware and sound, navigate to the sounds video and game controllers category and update the audio driver. Instead of searching for updates on the internet automatically, choose the manual option and select the button that will allow the user to choose a driver from a compatible list of drivers in the same category. Usually there will only be two drivers in this list, the current Realtech driver and the default Windows 10 driver which is called HD Audio from Microsoft. Click this driver to update and the audio on the machine will stop. Restart the laptop to begin using the new updated driver. Using this HD Audio driver, the issue is no longer present.

I’m not saying NVDA is at fault here because I don’t know enough about this yet. It could be that the driver is the culprit, and NVDA is doing things correctly but the driver is not handling NVDA very well.

So far I’ve tested this on Dell Inspiron laptops from the 570 range and above, from Windows 10 1809 and above and NVDA 2019.1 and above.

Hope this helps.

Luke