Re: Welcoming you to my talk at NVDACon

Dan Thompson

How can I join the presentation and when is it being on?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Deborah Armstrong
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2020 12:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Welcoming you to my talk at NVDACon

I wanted to let everyone know how excited I am to present again at NVDACon and to tell you a bit about my talk.

I've asked the organizers to give me a full 90 minutes so there will be plenty of time for questions. My talk last year got cut off due to the previous presenter being late and their need to stay on schedule.

I also want to welcome beginners. So many of the NVDACon talks are aimed at more advanced users with eclectic interests. My goal is to be inclusive and insure no matter your skill level with NVDA and Windows, you will gain some knowledge from my presentation.

I'll be speaking about using NVDA to learn foreign languages. I'll talk about getting different language voices for Windows, setting up your keyboard to type foreign characters, using add-ons to make language switching easier and marking up documents to insure they read in the appropriate language. Most language learning today  involves use of a computer, and if you are a screen reader user, the process can be quite frustrating if you haven't mastered these tricks!

I also wish to welcome users who already work with multiple languages to chime in with their additions and corrections! As an American, I'm immersed in a culture that isn't truly interested in being bi-lingual or tri-lingual. In my own small way, I'm trying to change this, but I don't have other blind users to call on for advice, so I'm depending on you folks in the international community to become part of my presentation.

I'll ask people to mute when I'm talking, but I'm going to be sure there's plenty of time for feedback so we can all learn from each other.

I've sent a handout and an expanded description of my talk to the organizers, so I'm hoping they post it soon.

--Debee