Re: Seeking recommendations for app to practice object nav

Gene

I don't know how the training material available for purchase teaches object navigation. I strongly believe that for most people, while a little explanation is helpful, beyond talking about something being inside of something else, and giving examples of an object, that it may be as large as an entire document or as small as a button or check box or other control, beyond that the best way to teach it is with very concrete examples and concrete steps.

For example, open notepad, and then give precise directions for movement so the student can see how he is moving. For example, you are now in the document wwindow. If you move to the object to the left, you will be at whatever. If you move to the object to the right, you will be at whatever, If you move up to the higher object, you will be wherever. If you try to move down into another object while in the document window, you can't, because there isn't one. You move to an object, then down into it if you want to work with it. You can use analogies, finding a shoe, then putting it on, for example. Each object can be moved through if the object contains more than one thing, and each object can be moved in and out of either up, down, to the left, and to the right. In order to move out of an object, there must be another object to move into and it can be very easily demonstrated that NVDA will tell you if there is no object in the direction you are moving.

I learned object navigation mostly by moving around as I described and seeing where I was. I looked at just a little explanation and found anything more than that to be meaningless and confusing, actually, it might have been discouraging if I hadn't had enough experience to know that I could learn as I described and thus applied that method. Somepeople can learn that way mostly on their own, a lot of people can't but I believe that, if directed, they could learn well that way in this context.

This is something where the actual experience is important and where abstract description serves few people well other than as a general framework such as I described above. As far as particular programs and apps are concerned, I haven't used enough to give a lot of exazmples, but any simple program like Notepad furnishes an excellent introduction if taught well.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2020 9:37 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Seeking recommendations for app to practice object nav

I had so much fun preparing two "thunderclaps" for Nvda-Con, I decided I want to do a tutorial on object nav that approaches it differently than previous efforts. Hopefully it can be something for next year's con.

Anyway, I mostly use object nav with in-house software for my job, so I need to find something free that makes good practice material. Something that really lets you exercise all the ins and outs of navigating objects.

Does anyone have a recommendation for software or a Windows 10 app that is completely accessible if you use object nav and mouse clicking to work with its features?

--Debee

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.