Re: problem with links in email when using Thunderbird

Gene

I haven't used such links and I wonder if they have access to the address even if it doesn't appear in the message. But the links don't work in Thunderbird even in lists where the addresses are available in the headers and/or the from line. There is no response when the links are attempted to be followed. I tried enter, the NVDA default action command, and the simulated mouse. I wonder what happens when a sighted person clicks them with a mouse? At this point, we don't have information to conclude whether this is an accessibility problem or a general problem in Thunderbird.

From: Jonathan COHN via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, December 05, 2020 7:50 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] problem with links in email when using Thunderbird

Well, there are a couple possibilities here.
1. The group is truly hiding addresses either for privacy concerns, or to ensure that conversations go through the group. In this case, even if you look through the entire set of headers, you will not find the address.
2. There are ISP's that require that all e-mail sent with a from: of that ISP be certified as coming from an official SMTP server of the ISP. Therefore group mails have to change the from address to not have any remnants of the ISP.

For Google Groups, you can search the full headers for
x-original-from: and this will be the sender.
It might be that Outlook presents this because the from lines in Outlook are something like:
From Joe Smith on behalf of David Coperfield but I don't get any group mails on Outlook so I can't verify what Outlook is doing behind the scenes.