Re: add-on for accessing the system tray

Richard Wells

I experience situations when pressing applications key or even routing
review cursor to mouse position after pressing WINDOWS-KEY+B to focus
the notification area when no action is taken on the system tray item
with which I am trying to interact. In those cases, I use the system
tray add-on to get the results I need. I don't care either way if it is
part of NVDA or not as long as I can have access to it when I want it. I
am extremely grateful to all add-on developers for the work they do that
helps me in being more productive. Every NVDA installation I set up for
myself or others has the SysTrayList add-on in case it is needed.

On 12/8/2020 6:56 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
I am with Gene on this, at least partially. I consider myself prettyuse has the
tech savvy, but for some reason I didn't know about the Windows
command to access the system tray until it was pointed out on the list
just now. I will definitely take a look at the add-on website to see
if I can benefit from any other add-ons. I've used NVDA as a secondary
screen reader for about 10 years, and interestingly have only had one
add-on running at a time.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 07:11 PM, Gene wrote:

Also, unless the manual has changed, when I checked last, a year or two
ago, no instruction was given for using the system tray.
-
Believe it or not, Gene, I don't expect the folks at NVAccess to explain how
to use a feature of Windows that has been present literally for decades.

What you expect in documentation, and what I do, are two entirely different
things.  NVDA documentation should not be teaching Windows basics.  It is
entirely reasonabl to presume that a Windows user already knows about the
System Tray and how it works.  They should also be presumed to know how
SHIFT+F10 or the Applications/Context Menu key work.  These are not screen
reader concepts.

But with this, I'm done, because this is so meta that it has only the most
tenuous connection to NVDA.  The same things I said above would be
applicable to documentation for Narrator, JAWS, and a number of now defunct
screen readers.  Users should know what's controlling what, and if they need
the training to get that information, or need help from their friends,
classmates, colleagues, etc., to get it then they need to pursue those
avenues.  It's not up to screen reader makers to teach basic Windows
concepts in their documentation, except in passing as something screen
reader specific is involved.

*If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to
something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you
have a legal mind.*

~ Thomas Reed Powell