From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 6:26 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] add-on for accessing the system tray

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 07:11 PM, Gene wrote:
Also, unless the manual has changed, when I checked last, a year or two ago, no instruction was given for using the system tray.-
Believe it or not, Gene, I don't expect the folks at NVAccess to explain how to use a feature of Windows that has been present literally for decades.

What you expect in documentation, and what I do, are two entirely different things. NVDA documentation should not be teaching Windows basics. It is entirely reasonabl to presume that a Windows user already knows about the System Tray and how it works. They should also be presumed to know how SHIFT+F10 or the Applications/Context Menu key work. These are not screen reader concepts.

But with this, I'm done, because this is so meta that it has only the most tenuous connection to NVDA. The same things I said above would be applicable to documentation for Narrator, JAWS, and a number of now defunct screen readers. Users should know what's controlling what, and if they need the training to get that information, or need help from their friends, classmates, colleagues, etc., to get it then they need to pursue those avenues. It's not up to screen reader makers to teach basic Windows concepts in their documentation, except in passing as something screen reader specific is involved.

~ Thomas Reed Powell