Re: add-on for accessing the system tray

Gene

Most blind Windows users do not know that enter is the equivalent of a left double clicck, that space is equivalent of a left single click and that opening the context menu with the context menu key is equivalent to a right mouse click. this simply isn't tought consistently to blind people in general and it is this specific knowledge that is necessary to use the system tray directly.

There is no harm nor violation of anything to place a few sentences in the section dealing with the system tray explaining this. I didn't say anything about the manual teaching Windows basics in general and I didn't claim that it should. I'm saying that if you don't include the system tray dialog, considering that very few blind people know what I am explaining, that it should be explained in that section.

At times, to be effective in pursuing a goall, you need to depart from ideology and do what makes sense to do in a specific situation. Neither you nor I know if our views in what should be in NVDA documentation generally agree or not, we haven't discussed that. I am talking about one very specific instance where a two decades means of working with the system tray is not included in NVDA and it is in other screen-readers. If you don't include what has become universally included elsewhere and that blind people know how to use, you should include a few lines explaining how to work with that which you are intending that blind people use as a result of what you are leaving out. I make no other statements about documentation.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 6:26 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] add-on for accessing the system tray

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 07:11 PM, Gene wrote:
Also, unless the manual has changed, when I checked last, a year or two ago, no instruction was given for using the system tray.-
Believe it or not, Gene, I don't expect the folks at NVAccess to explain how to use a feature of Windows that has been present literally for decades.

What you expect in documentation, and what I do, are two entirely different things. NVDA documentation should not be teaching Windows basics. It is entirely reasonabl to presume that a Windows user already knows about the System Tray and how it works. They should also be presumed to know how SHIFT+F10 or the Applications/Context Menu key work. These are not screen reader concepts.

But with this, I'm done, because this is so meta that it has only the most tenuous connection to NVDA. The same things I said above would be applicable to documentation for Narrator, JAWS, and a number of now defunct screen readers. Users should know what's controlling what, and if they need the training to get that information, or need help from their friends, classmates, colleagues, etc., to get it then they need to pursue those avenues. It's not up to screen reader makers to teach basic Windows concepts in their documentation, except in passing as something screen reader specific is involved.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you have a legal mind.

~ Thomas Reed Powell

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.