Re: add-on for accessing the system tray

Roger Stewart

I totally agree! I use this add on at least once a week. It gives so fast access to system tray icons and just a short hotkey press to do left or right click on them. It is very useful to me. Yes, it can be done the other way, but sometimes it takes time. I do internet radio broadcasting and sometimes I just can't spend the extra time to do it the other way I'll always want this add on.

Roger

On 12/8/2020 5:41 PM, Gene wrote:
It is needed on rare occasions.  At times, you can't access something properly using the system tray itself and  you can with the add-on.  At times, the reverse is true.

And whether it is needed isn't really to the point.  It has been the custom for screen-readers to provide a system tray dialog since Windows 98.  At that time, that was the only way the system tray was accessible.  It is so standardized in screen-readers that it should be a part of NVDA, particularly since a lot of users will never know about the add-on.  Who knows how many users never learn about this list or other places where they would be encouraged to explore add-ons.  At times, you just do something because it makes sense under existing conditions.  NVDA developers believe that NVDA should do almost nothing outside of be a pure screen-reader.  If taken too far, that is ideology and, as with all ideologies that are followed too dogmatically, results in bad decisions.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Lino Morales
Sent: Tuesday, December 08, 2020 5:24 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] add-on for accessing the system tray

Its a nice add-on, but not needed. WIN key B regardless of whatever
screen reader you use is great.

On 12/8/2020 6:21 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Hi everyone,
I remember hearing from another user that I need an add-on to access
the system tray by pressing NVDA+F11. Can someone please send me the
link to that add-on? This is something else that I think should be
built into NVDA.
Thanks,
Bob

.