Re: add-on for accessing the system tray

Sarah k Alawami

Actually I was never taught that in my training classes. I learned these things years and years and years after I got my training. In fact I was told, never press enter on a button, ever, it's space or nothing at all, which is what I do 20 years later. All I was told about the sighted keys is "click is space" and that's it.

On 8 Dec 2020, at 19:04, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 08:54 PM, Gene wrote:
Most blind Windows users do not know that enter is the equivalent of a left double clicck, that space is equivalent of a left single click and that opening the context menu with the context menu key is equivalent to a right mouse click. this simply isn't tought consistently to blind people in general and it is this specific knowledge that is necessary to use the system tray directly.
-
Gene, plain and simple, I call BS!   I have been around screen reader users for well over a decade now, ranging in age from under 15 years old up through individuals in their 80s.  They absolutely do know these things, as a matter of routine, or they'd be unable to function with a screen reader.

You don't have to be explicitly taught, instructed, etc., to figure out certain things you need to know on your own.  Though I will never deny that instruction helps.  I'm just not seeing these broad swaths of unaware individuals.

I'm not new to this dance, and your assertions are in direct contradiction to my observations and experience since 2010.  Your endless plaint that screen reader users cannot be expected to know the very basics of screen reader use is just not borne out in the real world, except in the case of complete neophytes, and that is not the bulk of the demographic that is here on this group, nor on any screen reader user group.  And those who do identify themselves as neophytes, which they need to do when they are, tend to get a lot more guidance and patience than would be warranted otherwise.

And I am completely out of patience with your endless insistence that the complete neophyte or the completely unaware are the common denominator.  They are not.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell