toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
To clarify Windows 10 App Essentials support policy:
- This add-on will support a feature update for at least a year. Typically support for a feature update ends around December/January or June/July. As such, the oldest feature update being supported (November 2019 Update) will not be supported by this add-on from February 2021 onwards (it was supported since August 2019).
- This add-on supports current stable, immediate past, and development versions of NVDA i.e. NVDA 2020.2 and later. Come January, it will support 2020.3 and later with the impending finalization of 2020.4.
These policies are designed to stress the fact that Windows 10 uses continuous delivery model, and to request that folks use more recent NVDA releases when working with Windows 10. The other add-on to follow this policy is Add-on Updater, but for that one, it supports Windows versions supported by NVDA and only supports latest NVDA release as the add-on is destined to be included in the screen reader in the future.
From: email@example.com <firstname.lastname@example.org> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 10:07 PM
Subject: [nvda] December 2020 localization updates: Add-on Updater, StationPlaylist, Windows 10 App Essentials #AddonRelease
Three add-ons with localization updates are now available:
- Add-on Updater: one of the largest releases, containing localization updates done throughout the year. I expect this will be the last version to support NVDA 2020.3, as the next version (21.02) will require upcoming NVDA 2020.4.
- StationPlaylist: localization updates, fixes a no announcement bug when trying to announce library scan updates while using a braille display, user interface tweaks based on NVDA 2020.3 changes.
- Windows 10 App Essentials: resolves an issue in Calculator 10.2009 or later where NVDA would not announce history entries. A related bug affecting announcement of memory values is being tested via dev channel and will be included in upcoming 21.01.
A few notes:
- Add-on Updater: originally I planned to release 21.01 (January update) but decided to wait until NVDA 2020.4 stable version is released (so the earliest release could be February). The next stable version will include internal changes.
- StationPlaylist: 20.12 is a stable channel release. If you are looking for 20.09.x release, the next version (January 2021) will indeed include an LTS release. Also, 20.12 is the last stable version to support Studio 5.20.
- Windows 10 App Essentials: originally version 20.12 was supposed to be the last release to support Windows 10 Version 1909 (November 2019 Update), but due to compatibility considerations with NVDA 2020.3 and later, support will be extended until January 2021 (so 21.01 will be the final version compatible with November 2019 Update). Also, 21.01 will require NVDA 2020.3 or later (a bit earlier than usual when it comes to dropping support for immediate past release, but it will be done this way in consideration for Version 1909 users).
As always, you can check for these add-on updates via an add-on that’s also being updated today (no, I’m not a poet, but…).