locked Re: NVDA Con Apology to the Community from your List Owner #adminnotice

Edited

Hello All,

In the time since this administrative notice was sent out there have been a number of responses. A brief summary of those responses follows.  I am unlocking this topic only to post this summary, and locking it again after having done so.

First, and unsurprisingly, all who sent responses support Nimer Jaber’s continuing on as Group Owner of the NVDA Group.

Second, there was unanimous support for replacing Team Talk as the virtual meeting mechanism for the NVDACon, which was a surprise.  Here are some brief quotations from the comments on the preferred virtual meeting mechanism:

I did not join NVDACon because of the fiddliness of setting up Teams and how inconsistent the experience sounded even when everything was done right. I also wasn't able to get the streaming link to work but that was likely in part to logging on at the wrong times—perhaps . . . I, for one, would have thoroughly enjoyed NVDACon on Zoom . . . I . . . hope that this may prompt a broader discussion . . .

I wasn't even aware of this event before a couple weeks ago. That was only one of the reasons I didn't attend, but the fact that it used Team Talk rather than Zoom was another one. Especially since everyone has Zoom now given everything that's happened this year, it would seem like a no-brainer to have the con on Zoom.

I also think that zoom would be a better option for NVDA con for next year.

I attended the conference and found it easier to join using the simulcast link provided by a member in the NVDA list rather than deal with team talk.

As an aside, but I believe it to be an important one, someone said, “As this is the first time I have been on the NVDA list at this time of the year, I wasn't even aware of this event before a couple weeks ago.”  Given the number of NVDA users worldwide, and the attendance numbers for the NVDACon, the need for serious consideration about how to promote the NVDACon more widely and aggressively is indicated.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell