Re: NVDA snd System Access, not a good combination

Gene

Farther down in the message, it is stated that Bob did unload System Access but it was still running in the background. Also, running two screen-readers simultaneously, which may be done accidentally, doesn't usually slow system performance. You have the inconvenience of two screen-readers speaking simultaneously, but not the kind of slowdown described.

The original post is unclear because first itt talks about running both at the same time while describing an incident when System Access was unloaded but continues to run. But System Accessw is going to be discontinued soon so I don't know if there would be any interest in fixing this as an update. The problem is mainly System Access, since it may continue to run in the background when it should be completely stopped when the user stops it. I think this is a problem that should be reported to them.

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2020 6:22 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA snd System Access, not a good combination

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 06:54 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
The problem is that if you inadvertantly or maybe even deliberately fire up System Access and NVDA at the same time, the whole system slows down to a point where it becomes almost unusable.-
I'd guess that this would be the result if any two third-party screen readers are fired up at the same time.

Narrator, as a built-in component of Windows 10 (and 8.1), is likely sui generis in terms of the resources allocated to it that isolate it from another screen reader.

Just like I tell my clients you should never, ever, ever run two antivirus programs/security suites at the same time on the same machine, I say the same with regard to screen readers. Unload one before you load another.

~ Thomas Reed Powell