Re: NVDA snd System Access, not a good combination

g melconian

Do agree with you bryan. 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, December 9, 2020 4:40 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA snd System Access, not a good combination

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 07:30 PM, g melconian wrote:

add this useful  feature [if another screen reader is running, force it to exit before moving further into starting] into their screen readers as well. 

-
Though I don't disagree, per se, there are trade offs and dangers to this approach.  I personally think that folks should be trained or train themselves to shut down one screen reader before starting another.  There are things I want the user of specific types of software to have to do themselves, mostly because it promotes awareness on a number of levels.

I guess it's a matter of preference, really.  But I've observed over the decades that making lots of things occur "automagically" tends to result in complete obliviousness as to how things work or what one might do when something inevitably goes wrong and requires end user intervention.  Knowing where the sweet spot lies between entirely manual in all respects (yuk) or fully automatic is not a simple thing, and opinions of where that spot is will differ.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you have a legal mind.

~ Thomas Reed Powell

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.