Re: NVDA snd System Access, not a good combination

Gene

While I don't particularly have an opinion about general behavior when you run a screen-reader while another is running, here is a case where a screen-reader should shut down another one.  If you are installing a new screen-reader, even if it has a talking installer, you would want your current screen-reader running when you run the installer.  If it isn't running, you would be unaware of any error messages or anything you need to respond to such as  Windows can't verify the installer and being asked if you want to run it.  Then the currently running screen-reader should be shut down by the installer.

If you want to install a version of NVDA by running the installer and a different version of NVDA is already running, my recollection is that the installer shuts down the currently running version before the talking installer is active.

Gene

On 12/9/2020 6:39 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 07:30 PM, g melconian wrote:
add this useful  feature [if another screen reader is running, force it to exit before moving further into starting] into their screen readers as well.
-
Though I don't disagree, per se, there are trade offs and dangers to this approach.  I personally think that folks should be trained or train themselves to shut down one screen reader before starting another.  There are things I want the user of specific types of software to have to do themselves, mostly because it promotes awareness on a number of levels.

I guess it's a matter of preference, really.  But I've observed over the decades that making lots of things occur "automagically" tends to result in complete obliviousness as to how things work or what one might do when something inevitably goes wrong and requires end user intervention.  Knowing where the sweet spot lies between entirely manual in all respects (yuk) or fully automatic is not a simple thing, and opinions of where that spot is will differ.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell