From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bob Cavanaugh
Sent: December 9, 2020 06:54 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA snd System Access, not a good combination

Hi all,
This might not be worth it anymore depending on the future of System Access, but if System Access stays around, I think this should be fixed if at all possible. The problem is that if you inadvertantly or maybe even deliberately fire up System Access and NVDA at the same time, the whole system slows down to a point where it becomes almost unusable. Alt-tab doesn't work as expected, and applications that should run smoothly suddenly stop responding. The other thing that almost always happens is modifiers in NVDA quit working, making it quite hard to shut down NVDA once it is running. In my case, I still use System Access to go, and it happens to me most frequently when I've just shut down SA. This morning was a perfect example. I had System Access open in IE, and a stream open in Firefox. As I wanted to make a call on my Google Voice number, the plan was to close IE, shutting down SA, then fire up NVDA, and switch to Voice in the existing Firefox window. I closed IE, and System Access shut down as expected, or so I thought. I fired up NVDA, switched to Firefox, and went to Google Voice, though sometimes the effect is right away, such that I won't even be able to do that. Not long after, I noticed a dramatic slow down in performance. The solution is to open task manager, make sure more details are showing, and go down to background processes. System Access will still be running as a background process, which needs to be ended in order for performance to return to normal.
This is just where it's most likely to happen to me, but in general, performance should not be this degraded when trying to run two screen readers. System Access and Narrator don't behave like this, nor do NVDA and Narrator.
Bob