Re: shortcut keys

Bob Cavanaugh

It's been ages since I've worked with those, so long in fact that I
can't remember what NVDA or System Access says when those are
encountered. I think JAWS and NVDA both say "edit combo box."

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 02:06 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:

What NVDA and JAWS call combo boxes accessed with the command c, System
Access calls drop-down lists, accessed with the
command d.
-
And what's even more annoying, at least to me, is that if any screen reader
uses only one of those terms to cover both object types, then the
distinction between a combo box (which allows you to type in the box itself,
rather than having to drop down and select) and dropdown box (which doesn't,
you must drop down and select) is lost.

True combo boxes seem to have fallen largely out of fashion, but they exist
as a separate entity from a dropdown box, and vice versa.

I don't really care if a single shortcut is used for both, but the
documentation should note that this means either a combo box or a dropdown
box.  The NVDA Commands Quick Reference mentions combo boxes only.

*If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to
something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you
have a legal mind.*

~ Thomas Reed Powell