Re: Silencing Reading of Numbers in NVDA

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 01:36 AM, Tony Malykh wrote:
,\d+,
-
Although I cannot easily think of a case "in a typical document" where this would snag something and make it silent, I'd imagine it could happen for large number values that include comma separation, e.g., 10,455,342.05.   That regex should match the ",455," part of that number, which could prove very problematic.

The only reason I mention this is if that regex is working perfectly when you're working with the document you need it for, you will want to remove it from the dictionary afterward.  Take it from someone who's been bitten in the posterior by having left things in the speech dictionary that I put there for testing purposes, and that later came into play where they were never intended to, making the screen reader output either incomprehensible or where it was omitting key information.

The "simpler" the regex the more likely it is to eventually capture something you really never intended for it to capture.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't be used when convenient, but you need to remember to "clean up after you're finished" so they don't come back to bite you in the posterior later.