Re: How is verbosity decided

Gene

I almost never have trouble knowing when something is being quoted from context. I have never read a talking book where the reader says something like block qquote nor says quote, unquote, when quoting people. Context can tell you most or almost all of what you need to know in this respect.

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2020 11:48 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How is verbosity decided

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020 at 12:40 PM, Gene wrote:
Can you imagine the uproar if talking book readers identified bloc quotes, and figures that have no meaning except visually-
The problem being, Gene, is that they have meaning that has a visual presentation. In "the olden days" quotation levels were shown using however many > characters were necessary at the outset of every line. That still does get used in plain text.

Block quotes aren't about "pretty" or "no meaning except visually." They tell you, if you're keeping track of what was announced just before them, who's saying what. And even if someone's sloppy about attribution, it still gives you a clear indication that the writer currently writing is not the author of what's being presented as a block quote. That's not trivial information in a wide variety of contexts. The difference between someone like me who can see the actual formatting and know this, and a screen reader user, is that the latter cannot know this unless the presence of the beginning and end of a block quote is not announced.

I'm not arguing with you about what you, Gene, may or may not want. That's not up for argument, as it's a matter of taste. But you cannot characterize something like block quote announcement as a triviality in a great many contexts, and it's better that it be on by default, and able to be turned off, than off by default, for the reasons I've already mentioned.

[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:] Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next. We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy.