Re: How TO Use Windows 10 OCR

Hi,

I know that one person reported this observation on GitHub, and I think someone proposed a message to be shown when this combination is active (attempting to do an OCR while screen curtain is on).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2020 9:00 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How TO Use Windows 10 OCR

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 11:49 AM, Bhavya shah wrote:

Just wondering: is Windows 10 OCR not working when screen curtain is enabled a known and documented issue, and if so, is it something that can be possibly fixed?

-
This was a great catch on Artin's part!  It is not documented in the User Guide, and really should be.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that this is not fixable if what the OCR does is, for all practical intents and purposes, scan the screen display buffer as though it were an image.  Using screen curtain functions keeps that buffer constantly "blanked," so there would be nothing to scan.  It's a Catch-22.  I'll be curious to see if my guess has any connection to reality, and there are a couple of regulars here who can likely confirm or refute off the top of their heads.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

[Regarding the Supreme Court refusing to hear the case brought by Texas to overturn the votes certified by 4 states:Pleased with the SCOTUS ruling, but also immediately slightly terrified of where this crazy train goes next.  We should know by now there’s a bottomless supply of crazy.

~ Brendan Buck, former adviser to Speakers of the House Paul Ryan and John Boehner 

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.