Re: How is verbosity decided

I agree.

I like my settings as they are.

My biggest issue is with clickables, its bad coding on web pages I know this but clickable all over the place, its one of the first thing I turn off.

The other is screen layout because things seem to work better for me without it.

I have also turned off column and table announcement because when I brouse an ftp on the web I don't want to hear item 1052 of 85232 or something like that when brousing an ftp server via the web.

Maybe we should have some conditions set for that when say brousing ftp or other web directories when the user really doesn't want or need a table or columns.

Luckily for me thats not a problem turning all the tables, rows and columns off because I don't use office, but maybe there needs to be a seperation between tables rows and columns for documents and for say the web brouser, ie chrome, fire/waterfox, etc.

Thats probably about the only issue that really gets me right now.

I have also noticed that some settings, in context like emphasis font change, etc may have had their origin in a certain situation, but applying those settings in say a general web or standard every day desktop navigation task just doesn't make sence.

In certain web apps and this is the tricky part some of all that may be usefull but general web stuff well.

Another thing is that we should be able to export our configuration profiles or have a way like addons where we can create a profile, upload it somewhere and have a way to download it.

There are plenty of users on here and a lot of us have plenty of profiles.

I have a couple but I don't as a rule need to use profiles for my day to day task.

I do a lot of admin work, testing work, etc.

If things get bad and from time to time they may, it may be necessary to reinstall my device or the device I am working on and while I try to avoid doing that, I can never be bothered at least for a while recreating my profiles again so while I may have done it in the past I have found unless I need to I don't bother now.

On 18/12/2020 4:27 am, Gene wrote:
We've heard from a few people saying they like this or that setting as it is. I think it might be of real benefit to take a survey to determine what most people, at least if enough respond, want.  It has been traditional since the very early days when all this verbosity became possible for screen-readers to announce it.  I haven't heard of one survey of users done to find out what they want. Whether I am right about what people want or not, I think my point is valid.  We don't know if the amount of verbossity is what people want or not.

Gene

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Thursday, December 17, 2020 9:17 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How is verbosity decided

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 02:57 AM, Gene wrote:
If ;people think I'm wrong, is there some way to survey typical users?-
Gene, even if there were a survey, you just will not accept the fact that what you, or I, or any given individual prefers does not mean that many others will prefer it.

You have a good point in terms of a completely new product, or feature, sometimes, but once something has been in wide release like NVDA has, changing what have been defaults for features of longstanding becomes way more trouble than it's worth.

There is absolutely something to your point about figures announcement in that it should be able to be turned on/off at will.  As to the rest of your position, not so much.  You cannot seem to take on the information that multiple users have presented here that your opinion, and desires, do not match theirs.  As a result, what you see fit to have turned on/off by default is incongruent with what they would have turned on/off by default.

In the end, and not just for screen readers, it is the absolute obligation of the end user to seek assistance in customizing things to their liking. No one at any software development house can ever create something that makes everybody happy, and particularly as far as what setting ship as default out of the box.  The tools exist to allow users to create their own best experience and if they're concerned with doing that then they need to explore them, with whatever assistance is necessary, or alone if none whatsoever is available.  This isn't a blindness-related thing in any way. It simply is, and has always been, for any piece of software.  The more complex the software the more true it is if you're looking to get as close to exactly what you prefer.

If you can't, or won't, acknowledge the absolute truth of the preceding paragraph then you cannot be reasoned with.  No excuses about "lack of training" or similar change it.