Re: How is verbosity decided

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 02:30 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

On 17 Dec 2020, at 10:42, g melconian wrote:

All, I think the best approach , is giving   the user choice and letting the  user customize what they see fit for their use case an work flow situations.

I agree to a point, however won't that introduce a bloated situation ? I agree, but if we had the choice for 100 percent of things, I personally would not like it as there is just too much to take notes on etc. and the documentation would become way too much for any one person to handle.

-
But if you've ever looked at the settings for the JAWS screen reader, you will see that there are choices for many, many, many things.  There are also for NVDA, Windows 10, iOS, Android, etc.

No user likely ever even attempts to change well above 90% of what comes as default on any operating system or piece of software, but having the ability to do so if one so desires is built in to a huge number of complex systems.

No user is ever asked to make 100% of the choices, either, as that's the entire purpose of having defaults set.  I doubt anyone would ever have made it to day one of actual use with NVDA, JAWS, Windows, etc., if at the outset during setup you as the end user were require to make every single choice of configuration that the software allows.  It could take days, literally, for some software.

Defaults must be chosen.  Defaults are chosen.  Defaults will not be to every individual user's satisfaction.  Them's the facts, and it's never, ever going to be any different, because it can't be different.  And that's why I find this whole discussion exhausting, as I would think that each and every member of this group has been around computers and software long enough to understand why the first three sentences of this paragraph are axiomatic.