Re: How is verbosity decided

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 01:21 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
because what Brian wanted to communicate (if I'm understanding his messages correctly) is that we (developers and users) should not mess with users minds. Habit is a strong force, and first impressions and experiences matter.
-
Precisely.  And even I will admit that what any given development team may have chosen as its defaults often drives me to drink.  But once I know what those are, and have been for long periods of time, I know on every fresh setup of a given piece of software (including operating systems) what my list of tweaks is, and can apply it reliably and without much thought after the initial thought that went into it.

I also just don't get why anyone cannot acknowledge the simple fact that one size fits all means, in reality, that one size fits none, and that tailoring is necessary.  It does not matter one bit what any given piece of software is configured like in its "out of the box" state.  Someone is going to hate all or part of whatever choices have been made.  Choosing defaults is a nontrivial exercise and, for those doing the choosing, a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't," situation in many cases.  And once you've picked 'em, you tend to keep 'em so you don't mess with people's heads, even if in the real world 90% of your existing users change certain somethings.  It's absolutely not a case of foolish consistency being the hobgoblin of little minds.  Precedent means something, and even bad but predictable precedent in your software allows you to keep your sanity over time.