Re: NVDA not reading anything but plain text

Dan Miner

I recently had a different outcome but I suspect similar root issue. For whatever reason, an NVDA setting will change surprisingly and usually for the worse. There is an AppData/Roaming directory under your user profile (use echo %USERPROFILE% in a console if you don’t know yours). You’ll find an NVDA folder there with local settings. I had to delete that directory to restore defaults to even use NVDA in any form (even installer wouldn’t work properly).

Dan

On Dec 18, 2020, at 11:25 AM, Gene <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

Do you mean it doesn't read what is displayed by a browser? Does that also include what is displayed by word processors? Plain text means nothing but text and would limit you to something like Notepad.

Have you tried other screen-readers and had a sighted person look at the screen to see if what is displayed looks as it should? Without more knowledge, we have no basis to assume the problem is an NVDA problem.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Joy Francis
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2020 12:06 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA not reading anything but plain text

I have been using NVDA for years. All of a sudden NVDA stopped reading everything, but plain text.

I have gone through all the typical electron fixes. 1. make sure it is on. 2. turn it off and restart; close browser and restart; 3. check for updates; 4. turn computer off and restart and do 1 - 3 again; 4. uninstall NVDA and reinstall.

So far nothing has helped. The question has been sent to NVDA but the tech person assigned to my question is out until January 2021. He recommended coming here and asking for help.

Joy Francis