Re: How to study Japanese with NVDA?

Clement Chou

I'm fluent in Japanese and use NVDA in Japanese environments
regularly. Japanese braille is indeed supported. So long as the
braille display is connected and the Japanese version of NVDA is
instaled, it should work. I had the base version of NVDA on my
computer originally then slapped the Japanese one on top of it. Feel
free to contact me off list or ask the student to contact me, and I'd
love to try and help.
The command to switch between hiragana and katana is still
ctrl+capslock for hiragana and alt+capslock for Katakana. Typing in
Japanese is easy to do, provided you've studied Kanji and know the one
you want, because the descriptions of the candidate are all in
Japanese of course. NVDAJP's character description activated with
numpad 2 on the desktop keyboard layout is also very useful for
learning what kanji is used in a word.

For synthesizers, thereare tons of them out there, but I'd recommend
either any of the windows 1 core voices or protalker as a starting
point since they're both free.

On 12/20/20, Dan Miner via groups.io <dminer84=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to know this as well because I am trying to teach myself
Japanese. As I understand it, the braille system is based on kana. NVDA I
believe uses the louis braille library and so it might be as easy as loading
that “code page” and converting the text into some braille format just like
we do for English. But it would be nice to have automagic switching in a
web page with a language markup on the passages.

Anyway, I would like to know more about this too.
Dan

On Dec 20, 2020, at 6:52 AM, Marco Oros <marco.oros93@gmail.com> wrote:

OK.

Here is one problem:

Japanese has a japanese braille, but It is not implemented to NVDA,
because of three alphabets, which are used in Japanese.

About speech synthesizers, I know that Windows has some japanese voices,
but I don't know, how to new japanese keyboard layout.

I have asked this last question, because keys to switch keyboard layout
were changed. I think on japanese characters, not switch from one language
to another language. For example, I would like to switch from Hiragana to
Katakana and Romaji. About Kanji letters, You can press twice time
spacebar and select one kanji letter, press enter and It'll be written
down.

That's everything, which I know about japanese keyboard layout.

Last note:

I am from Slovakia, not from Japan, but I am interrested to various
languages.

Dňa 20. 12. 2020 o 14:32 Daniel Gartmann napísal(a):

Hello

I have been asked to help a blind University student who is studying
Japanese. The goal is to be able to read on a Braille display connected
to a Windows10 computer.

Anybody with experience in studying Japanese on a system in e.g. English
or some other language?

I have been told that in order for Japanese Braille to work properly, the
entire computer needs to be in Japanese. We are using the computer either
in Danish or in English.

I tried running a portable copy of NVDA from www.nvda.jp, but it didn’t
start right away.

So, hope someone with experience in this would be willing to share their
knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel