Fra: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> På vegne af Clement Chou
Sendt: 20. december 2020 19:29
Til: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Emne: Re: [nvda] How to study Japanese with NVDA?

I'm fluent in Japanese and use NVDA in Japanese environments regularly.
Japanese braille is indeed supported. So long as the braille display is
connected and the Japanese version of NVDA is instaled, it should work. I
had the base version of NVDA on my computer originally then slapped the
Japanese one on top of it. Feel free to contact me off list or ask the
student to contact me, and I'd love to try and help.
The command to switch between hiragana and katana is still
ctrl+capslock for hiragana and alt+capslock for Katakana. Typing in
Japanese is easy to do, provided you've studied Kanji and know the one you
want, because the descriptions of the candidate are all in Japanese of
course. NVDAJP's character description activated with numpad 2 on the
desktop keyboard layout is also very useful for learning what kanji is used
in a word.

For synthesizers, thereare tons of them out there, but I'd recommend either
any of the windows 1 core voices or protalker as a starting point since
they're both free.

On 12/20/20, Dan Miner via groups.io <dminer84=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to know this as well because I am trying to teach myself
Japanese. As I understand it, the braille system is based on kana.
NVDA I believe uses the louis braille library and so it might be as
easy as loading that “code page” and converting the text into some
braille format just like we do for English. But it would be nice to
have automagic switching in a web page with a language markup on the
passages.

Anyway, I would like to know more about this too.
Dan

On Dec 20, 2020, at 6:52 AM, Marco Oros <marco.oros93@gmail.com> wrote:

OK.

Here is one problem:

Japanese has a japanese braille, but It is not implemented to NVDA,
because of three alphabets, which are used in Japanese.

About speech synthesizers, I know that Windows has some japanese
voices, but I don't know, how to new japanese keyboard layout.

I have asked this last question, because keys to switch keyboard
layout were changed. I think on japanese characters, not switch from
one language to another language. For example, I would like to switch
from Hiragana to Katakana and Romaji. About Kanji letters, You can
press twice time spacebar and select one kanji letter, press enter
and It'll be written down.

That's everything, which I know about japanese keyboard layout.

Last note:

I am from Slovakia, not from Japan, but I am interrested to various
languages.

Dňa 20. 12. 2020 o 14:32 Daniel Gartmann napísal(a):

Hello

I have been asked to help a blind University student who is studying
Japanese. The goal is to be able to read on a Braille display
connected to a Windows10 computer.

Anybody with experience in studying Japanese on a system in e.g.
English or some other language?

I have been told that in order for Japanese Braille to work
properly, the entire computer needs to be in Japanese. We are using
the computer either in Danish or in English.

I tried running a portable copy of NVDA from
https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nvda.jp%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C77a6cb0cd7be431412c608d8a5151a32%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637440857330956458%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=P2rG7ihSEvs4MMSlzzVTo4Vi%2B3OT1URrqCLQTRckcgY%3D&amp;reserved=0,
but it didn’t start right away.

So, hope someone with experience in this would be willing to share
their knowledge.

Thanks in advance.

Daniel