Re: Working with Python in NVDA

Hi,
You will need Python 3.7. Liblouis bindings cannot be found in Python 3.8 or
later unless os.add_dll_directory (function/context manager) is called from
NvDA side, and I resolved it in a branch I'm working on to port NVDA to
Python 3.8 and later (it actually works apart from needing to install Python
3.8 specific dependencies):
https://github.com/josephsl/nvda
The branch to check out is "walrus" (without quotes) in reference to the
walrus operator (:=), which makes certain conditional statements easier to
read and digest (walrus operator, or assignment expression, was introduced
in Python 3.8). In the coming days, I will be releasing a really bleeding
edge version of NVDA (based on latest alpha snapshot), or for that matter,
two builds:
* Python 3.7 with wxPython GUI toolkit update (version 4.1.1)
* Python 3.8 with wxPython GUI toolkit update (4.1.1)

IMPORTANT: these bleeding-edge snapshots will come from my own fork of NVDA
and thus is unsupported by NV Access i.e. these are prototypes. The first
build will not affect add-ons that much, whereas the second build will break
at least one add-on and will cause BRLTTY support features to not function.
Both builds will have GUI toolkit related bugs, the most important being
NVDA will appear to freeze when you open NVDA's about dialog and similar
dialogs.
Cheers,
Joseph