Re: How to turn off NVDA

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

When you said you fully uninstalled nvda was that only from program and features?

There is another area where the settings are keaped that should be deleted if you are having problems if the nvda.ini file mucks up.

After NvDA has been uninstalled from program and features  do the following.

Press the windows key + the letter R it will bring up a run dialogue box then type the following %appdata% then press the enter key.

The next screen that comes up will give you a list of directories  find the one called nvda then delete it out then close the screen with the alt + f4 key.

then reinstall nvda. It might be a good idea actually to grab a fresh copy of it from nvaccess then reinstall it to the pc.

Just in case you got a bad down load before.

Use the narrator screen reader to do the above unless you have some sight to do it.

Did you try a factory reset of nvda? this some times fixes any problems.

Use the nvda key + letter N to bring up the menu when it is running then arrow down to Reset configuration to factory defaults then press the enter key.

Make sure also that when you go to set it up again you see the message like which layout, do you want to use the caps lock key as a modifier start nvda at startup etc.

I think the short cut to do the reset is nvda key + ctrl + R 3 times.

GGene nz

On 30/12/2020 4:58 am, Food Posse wrote:

Thank you for the troubleshooting efforts.

We did not select the option to launch NVDA at windows login. But even if it was, sounds like NVDA should not auto-launch after closing unless activated by a person. We did not change any other NVDA default settings.

So we uninstalled and reinstalled NVDA but the same thing happens - Insert+Q, dialog box open, default option is already Exit, dialog box closes but NVDA continues to read the screen. Then when forced to close through the Task Manager, NVDA still automatically relaunches at various times like launching an app.

This is a new system so it should be pretty clean. There are very few programs other than what came pre-installed with the laptop. AVG was downloaded to confirm no viruses on the computer or on the NVDA exe before we reinstalled. We even checked the startup options in the Task Manager and NVDA is not on the list. Our friend really wants NVDA but we are not sure what else to try.

On 12/28/2020 3:05 PM, Gene wrote:
I suspect the reason NVDA automatically comes on when set to run at the login screen when the secure desktop comes up may be that NVDA loads another version of itself to run when the secure desktop opens.  My guess is that there is a relation between this and the setting to automatically run at the login screen.  Perhaps one of the developers will discuss the matter.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 2:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to turn off NVDA

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 02:21 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Actually, this isn't always the case. If the option to use NVDA on the
log-on screen is checked, it annoyingly pops up on every screen that
requires administrative action, and stays there until you shut it off.-
This is news to me, and good information to have.  Most of the folks I've worked with who are using NVDA have their systems set up to log them straight in to their desktops on system (re)start, so they're not using that setting.

Several don't even have any screen reader turn on initially by default, as they will choose one based on what it is they're about to work with first if one screen reader works with that software better than the other.

Other than what you document above, which I've never seen because that setting was not set, I have not encountered NVDA doing a self-restart once explicitly exited from.

There are a number of possibilities here, but if the situation you described is known to not have been set up, I still strongly recommend an uninstall and reinstall to see if that clears things up, and paying particular attention to the dialogs when installing so the way you want NVDA to behave is actually set up correctly.