Re: problems using NVDA with my new laptop

Betsy Grenevitch

Gene, I have used numpad very little until getting this laptop. I assume you mean just pushing the numpad 7 by itself when nomlock is off, right? If that is the case it does not do anything if it can be used in an email as that is where I tried it. When I push any of those three numbers it just says clipboard. If you would like for me to write you privately, please let me know.

On 12/29/2020 7:52 PM, Gene wrote:

it might help clarify things if we knew the answer to the following question:

When you use numpad commands by themselves, do they work correctly?  In other words, does numpad 8 read the current line of the object you are on?  Does numpad 7 move to the previous line and numpad 9 move to the next line?

I also did a bit of experimentation and if a current or near current version of NVDA is being used, it doesn't matter, for what we are discussing, if laptop or desktop mode is being used.  it may for other commands, but the numpad review commands such as shift 7, 8, and 9, work in both modes.  Before continuing with any experimentation, do the following to make completely sure you are working in the correct screen-review mode:

Issue the command numpad insert numpad 1 until you hear no previous review mode.  If you changed review modes at some point, you may well have unexpected results.

Gene

On 12/29/2020 6:16 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 06:40 PM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Since you are using a laptop NVDA should be on laptop keyboard layout.
-
I'm sorry, but that's incorrect and, in actuality, very seldom the case or necessary.  If you have a laptop that has a number pad as part of its built in keyboard NVDA installs using desktop keyboard layout because it can since all the keys are there.

I only have folks use laptop layout if they are already familiar with it and prefer it, or if they have a laptop that does not have a number pad as part of its built in keyboard.  That is the minority of laptops produced today.

Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876