Re: NVDA using braille in multi-lingual text environment

Mary Otten

Thanks, Jason. I will have to look into that add-on. Now for a stupid question. My experience with a display and a computer has been limited to typing on a regular keyboard and reading the output on the display, rather than typing using a braille keyboard; the displays we had didn't have keyboards. So when using a display with a braille keyboard, how does the proper encoding occur? I mean, if I typed on a regular keyboard, I would have to change my keyboard between English and cyrillic as appropriate. Does the braille table handle that functionality for braille input, such that I would switch back and forth between U.S. English grade II and Russian as appropriate? I hope that was clear. Also, can you have a usb keyboard connected and active, so that you would have the choice of typing on the braille keyboard of the display or your regular keyboard? I'm thinking that would be a nice thing, so you could avoid needing computer braille, for example.

Mary

Mary

On 12/30/2020 9:55 AM, Jason White via groups.io wrote:

On 12/30/20 12:29 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
I have recently ordered a braille display. One of the things I'd like to do with it is access multi-lingual texts, e.g. websites, which have both English and cyrillic alphabets in use. In order to do that efficiently, one would need to have a braille table that included both of these alphabets, grade II English and uncontracted Russian, active at the same time, or somehow have a combined table with both at once. Is that possible?
It's possible, but I don't know whether such a table is available. Note also that the BrailleExtender add-on for NVDA allows you to switch tables easily - not what you need in this case, but at least a short-term solution.