Arlene

I had no clue you can see. The way you talk like the blind users. I thought you were blind like us.  Well, keep up the good work. You’d be a good advocate for blind users who have to fight with isp providers.  You know how they say click here or there. They have no clue that you are a blind user.  I’ve encountered someone who had no clue that I don’t see.  The person said Oh don’t listen to the screen reader listen to me. I said that screen reader helps me help you see the screen.  He tried to tell me to click a green box. Just then a sighted friend who happened to know how to talk like us blind users.  She told the person on the phone that I don’t see.  He felt like a fool! This screen reader was NVDA.  I don’t know if this is true. This friend said that NVDA looks more like windows. She described that it interacts more like you would see windows like a sighted person.  Some of the key commands are similar to Jaws.  Even my food safe tutor said the NVDA screen reader looks more like windows.  He had full sight.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Brian Vogel
Sent: December 30, 2020 9:29 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Admin's Notes Re List Conduct, Please Read #adminnotice

Rosemarie and Arlene,

           I just wanted to thank you for your kind words, and particularly for your saying you'd forgotten or not known that I am sighted.  I do mention this occasionally because I do not want anyone, on any of the blind technology groups on which I participate, to ever believe I am trying to impersonate a blind person nor making any claim that I can or do know, a in lived experience sense, what it is to be blind.  I've simply worked with blind technology and individuals who are blind and visually impaired for quite a few years now and that's taught me an awful lot.

           But it's very nice to know that, at least for the most part, much of what I now write in these venues reads in such a way that the fact that I see is not at all readily obvious unless I bring it up or someone else does.  There are times where the fact that I can see is relevant, and it makes perfect sense for that to be mentioned when it is.  But when it's not germane to the conversation it just isn't.