From: Tyler Spivey
Sent: December 30, 2020 11:21 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] How to turn off NVDA

Can you tell us exactly what happens when you turn off NVDA (or record

it)? Here's what should happen:

1. Press NVDA+q to quit. It should pop up the Exit NVDA dialog.

2. Press enter. You should hear the descending sound indicating NVDA exited.

If you don't, check the log by going to the NVDA menu, Tools, View log.

Can you still use NVDA commands after you do that?

On 12/30/2020 10:40 AM, Food Posse wrote:

What a wonderful group!!
To answer what folks on this list so helpfully offered and asked:
Unfortunately, this is her own personal computer and the only one she
has so no option to change computers. Narrator is pre-installed but she
really wants NVDA.
It is definitely NVDA and not Narrator. Narrator is set to only use the
Caps Lock with a voice higher in pitch and speed to differentiate. NVDA
only with Insert. This was a really good idea since we did not think of
it!
We applied the suggestion to Reset NVDA configuration to factory default
but the same thing continues.
We uninstalled NVDA through the Apps & features settings option. No
remaining folders with NVDA. Then downloaded a new copy of NVDA to
install.
This is a new computer and we only installed and customized a couple of
programs so it is not too much of a beast to reinstall windows and do it
all again. But this will take some time so I wanted to test some of the
other suggestions first.
But some thoughts are coming to mind that I want to further investigate
before a complete wipe. Assuming the os is not corrupt, then something
is keeping an instance of NVDA active or NVDA is attaching itself to
something active like a utility so I want to follow that logic a bit
without going indefinitely down a rabbit hole!
Any other ideas is most welcome!
Hi
When you said you fully uninstalled nvda was that only from program
and features?
There is another area where the settings are keaped that should be
deleted if you are having problems if the nvda.ini file mucks up.
After NvDA has been uninstalled from program and features do the
following.
Press the windows key + the letter R it will bring up a run dialogue
box then type the following %appdata% then press the enter key.
The next screen that comes up will give you a list of directories
find the one called nvda then delete it out then close the screen with
the alt + f4 key.
then reinstall nvda. It might be a good idea actually to grab a fresh
copy of it from nvaccess then reinstall it to the pc.
Just in case you got a bad down load before.
Use the narrator screen reader to do the above unless you have some
sight to do it.
Did you try a factory reset of nvda? this some times fixes any problems.
Use the nvda key + letter N to bring up the menu when it is running
then arrow down to Reset configuration to factory defaults then press
the enter key.
Make sure also that when you go to set it up again you see the message
like which layout, do you want to use the caps lock key as a modifier
start nvda at startup etc.
I think the short cut to do the reset is nvda key + ctrl + R 3 times.
GGene nz
On 30/12/2020 4:58 am, Food Posse wrote:
Thank you for the troubleshooting efforts.
We did not select the option to launch NVDA at windows login. But
even if it was, sounds like NVDA should not auto-launch after closing
unless activated by a person. We did not change any other NVDA
default settings.
So we uninstalled and reinstalled NVDA but the same thing happens -
Insert+Q, dialog box open, default option is already Exit, dialog box
closes but NVDA continues to read the screen. Then when forced to
close through the Task Manager, NVDA still automatically relaunches
at various times like launching an app.
This is a new system so it should be pretty clean. There are very few
programs other than what came pre-installed with the laptop. AVG was
downloaded to confirm no viruses on the computer or on the NVDA exe
before we reinstalled. We even checked the startup options in the
Task Manager and NVDA is not on the list. Our friend really wants
NVDA but we are not sure what else to try.
On 12/28/2020 3:05 PM, Gene wrote:
I suspect the reason NVDA automatically comes on when set to run at
the login screen when the secure desktop comes up may be that NVDA
loads another version of itself to run when the secure desktop
opens. My guess is that there is a relation between this and the
setting to automatically run at the login screen. Perhaps one of
the developers will discuss the matter.
Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 2:00 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 02:21 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
Actually, this isn't always the case. If the option to use NVDA on the
log-on screen is checked, it annoyingly pops up on every screen that
requires administrative action, and stays there until you shut it off.-
This is news to me, and good information to have. Most of the folks
I've worked with who are using NVDA have their systems set up to log
them straight in to their desktops on system (re)start, so they're
not using that setting.
Several don't even have any screen reader turn on initially by
default, as they will choose one based on what it is they're about
to work with first if one screen reader works with that software
better than the other.
Other than what you document above, which I've never seen because
that setting was not set, I have not encountered NVDA doing a
self-restart once explicitly exited from.
There are a number of possibilities here, but if the situation you
described is known to not have been set up, I still strongly
recommend an uninstall and reinstall to see if that clears things
up, and paying particular attention to the dialogs when installing
so the way you want NVDA to behave is actually set up correctly.