Lenron

I think you have the right idea about it Gene. If you can explain
something how you would do it as a blind person to another why not.
Being able to adapt to situations is a good thing. If I can cut down
on questions you might have I will give a little extra info from the
start, not wait until you ask for every single step.

that is ideology and, though it oftenmakes sense, it doesn't always. I had

swimming lessons in a sighted class as a child, and though I learned a good

deal, I went much farther in much less time while in a program that matched

one instructor with one blind student.

You haven't defined what thinking in sighted terms means. If I'm writing on

a list like this, I'm not going to say, click on tools, then click options,

then click on whatever tab I may want to move to from the default. for one

thing, a lot of people wouldn't know what I was talking about. for another,

blind people do work from the keyboard in most of what they do. I think
about mouse commands when I need to, when reading instructions written for
sighted people, and when describing how to do something to a sighted person.

But when I'm thinking about how I usually use a computer, I think about the

way I use it, from the keyboard. I'm not going to spend the time and effort

translating keyboard procedures for blind people to read because of an
ideological belief that we have to think in sighted terms. When I open a
menu in a typical program, I don't think to myself, click the menu in the
menu bar. Whether I think about it or do it so automatically that I don't
think about it, I press alt and then do whatever I do to finish opening the

menu. While it is a good thing for people who want to expand their
abilities beyond that, that doesn't mean that we have to describe things the

way sighted people do when talking with other blind people. Living in a
sighted world requires certain skills and knowledge. It doesn't mean that
we have to describe everything as sighted people do when we talk among
ourselves.

if you do things and function in environments where it matters, knowing how

to do so may be important. That isn't the same as refusing to describe
things when talking with blind people as blind people usually do things.
that is a misapplication of ideology.