Re: Strategies for navigating YouTube comments using NVDA?

Gene

I've tried this on two pages. You can see if it works consistently.
From the top of the page, search for the word more. You may have to search twice to get to the word more that's immediately above the start of the comments section. I believe its part of a button that says more actions. You can see.
Once you start reading comments, search for the word view to be immediately above the next comment. At times, there is material below the word view that isn't the next comment. I haven't looked at it to be sure what it is. I think it may have to do with viewing a series of comments in a thread that that comment started. If so, I believe searching for view again will take you to the next main comment.

From: Gene
Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2020 1:48 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Strategies for navigating YouTube comments using NVDA?

I'd have to look at the comments section for a few videos but one reason you
may be having problems is that increasingly, sites change as you move
through them. This is to accommodate mobile devices. The whole page isn't
shown, but parts of it are and those parts change as you move through the
page. On The New York Times home page, for example, a section called
something like other news isn't shown when you are at the top of the page.
If I move to something close to where that section would be, to a feature
called editor's picks, then move down, by headings since that is the
convenient way to move through stories and sections on the site, the other
news section opens as I move to it and I can move through it and see that it
is there.
That may be happening with the comments section on Youtube.

When you get to the comments section, look above it. What is above it. Is
there an item you can conveniently move to or use the search of your
screen-reader to move to? If so, and if it is shown on the page when you
are at the top, in other words you don't have to have it open as you move
down, you can move to it then continue to move and be in the comments
section. I'll add that I'm not sure if the comments section will open
immediately. You may have to move back to where you were than wait a moment
and move down again, just as you may have to on The Times site.

Maybe this is a good system for sighted users, I don't know. It isn't for
blind people since you don't know if you are missing part of a page unless
you move through it in some way, from article to article, for example. If
you find what you want without doing so, that's fine. But you may miss
content you might be interested in on an unfamiliar page and not even know
that it is available.

As far as moving from comment to comment, once in the section, when you come
to the end of a comment, is there an item that is repeated at the end of
every comment that will allow you to move from comment to comment by doing
an initial search then using the repeat search command if you want to skip
to the next comment. The search command is one of the most powerful and
least used methods of web navigation by blind people. I suspect that one
reason for this is that it isn't taught thoroughly in a lot of training
material.