Buddy Brannan

Hi Brian,

Good thoughts, those. Personally, and for the reasons you mention,I do think I like “sphere” or even “community” better, myself.

Best,

Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Email: buddy@brannan.name
Mobile: (814) 431-0962

On Jan 1, 2021, at 8:14 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 01:29 AM, Buddy Brannan wrote:
All of this “sighted world” and “blind world” and what not drives me up a tree.
-
Buddy, first and foremost thanks for your kind words. Also to all others who've offered same. It is neither unnoticed nor unappreciated; it's nice to get feedback that the things I do matter and are helpful.

But a number of people have brought up the particular trope noted above, and I'd simply say that if you don't like "world" on either one of those phrases try "sphere" or "bubble."

I think that each and every one of us here has a "sphere" or "bubble" (possibly more than one) in which we find ourselves immersed at times that is not "the world at large." Each and every one of us also lives in that, too. I have been involved in community theater for decades, and when doing shows and such I at times am in "the theater bubble." You get constrained, to some extent, by degree of focus at the moment. I am also a gay man, and know what people mean in the LGBTQ community when the phrase "the gay world" gets used. It simply indicates that, in the respect of being LGBTQ, there are times where the "among my people" feeling, and the subculture feeling, predominates over being a part of the world at large.

There are "us versus them" situations, but talking about different worlds need not have that aspect. We each inhabit multiple communities. We can and do sometimes dive into those "worlds/spheres/bubbles" by choice or circumstance, without there really being a trace of "us versus them" as part of it. I can get why any given individual has spheres, sometimes interlocking and other times not, where the sense of "being among my people" at the moment is in no way unhealthy. It's also without even a trace of malice or ill-will toward those who are not in the "my people" class at that moment. And we glide effortlessly between them all.

~ Brian Vogel