Re: Say next and previous sentence not working in Word

benmoxey@...

Hahaha Good point! Sorry, I meant, someone else!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Monday, 4 January 2021 10:36 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Say next and previous sentence not working in Word

Ben,

In fact, I am running Office 2016 so you have your answer!

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of benmoxey@...
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2021 10:11 PM

Hi Cearbhall

I forgot to mention that I am running Office 365, rather than 2016. I don’t think this will make a difference, but it would be interesting to hear from someone running 2016 to clarify if navigating by sentence is working for them using Alt + up or Down arrow.

Cheers

Ben

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: Monday, 4 January 2021 8:47 AM

Ben,

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

I have downloaded the add-on today called “SentenceNav” and another called “TextNav”. These do the job. So, in response to your suggestion, I restarted NVDA with add-ons disabled. This eliminated the functions provided by those two apps. I could now try out your suggestio. In Outlook, I found that you were right. When I switched to the active cursor with NVDA + space, the sentence commands did work. However, they failed to work in NS, Word. Any ideas?

I restarted the two add-ons and now I have the sentence reading controls in both Word and Outlook!

I would like to hear from the developers why this strange behaviour is happening.

All the best,

Cearbhall

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of benmoxey@...
Sent: Sunday, January 3, 2021 9:01 PM

Hi Cearbhall

The next and previous sentence commands should be working as normal in Word. However, note that they will not work if you are using Browse mode in a Word document to navigate by headings etc. Ensure you are in Focus mode by using the toggle command, NVDA + Space, and give them another try.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best.

Ben

Sent: Monday, 4 January 2021 2:44 AM
Subject: [nvda] Say next and previous sentence not working in Word

Hi, all,

I am using Windows 10, NVDA 2020.3 and Word 2016.

When I try to read the next or previous sentence in a Word document, using alt + down-Arrow, or alt + up-arrow, I get no response. Indeed when I turn on keyboard help, these key combinations get no echo. It appears that this function has been removed from NVDA! I opened the NVDA User Guide and it still says that alt-Down-arrow is to be used to say next sentence and alt-up-arrow for previous sentence.

Can anyone explain what is happening? Is the user guide out of step?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.