You live in a sighted world. You are not in a sighted world meaning that you must think and do everything as a sighted person does. You are blind and there are certain things that need to be done differently or work better because other senses than sight are being used.

I don't read print by getting books with raised print letters. I read Braille. I determine when a light is in my favor by listening at a street corner. When I use a computer, I think in terms of keyboard commands unless the situation requires me to do otherwise. I obviously don't use a mouse most of the time.

There are people who would benefit and who do benefit by knowing how to translate sighted computer instructions into keyboard equivalents or, if the program doesn't provide for that, using a virtual mouse. there are blind people who don't, such as someone whose only interests are browsing, e-mail, a certain amount of word processing, as examples. Saying you will be left behind is such a broad generalization that it is meaningless.

From: Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2021 10:37 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Admin's Notes Re List Conduct, Please Read

I actually took a music test with the staff alone, learned how to read it with my fingers. I'm in a sighted world. By the way I got a 79 on the printed test . I needed a 70 to pass. I also learned the symbols for boeings, dynamics etc. It's better better than braille music any day.

and by the way I still will write and use click. You are expected to know the terms and use them and translate them into keyboard or finger actions or even probably head stick actions if you have to. I even say tap for iOs or click sometimes if I know the person is using a mouse on that thing. and I back translate "click the gear" as in "click settings" as in "tap or hit space on or touch what ever." S sink or swim in my humble opinion.

On 4 Jan 2021, at 8:05, Orlando Enrique Fiol via groups.io wrote:

At 12:08 AM 12/31/2020, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
You might say "click on settings" or "if that doesn't say settings,
click on the mic icon."
I sure wouldn't especially to my fellow blindies. To the sighted, icons are meant to capture their ocular attention. For us, icons are things to be searched for. If there were no other way to activate an element besides finding an icon, I'd tell a blind person to do a screen search for a specific word and activate the element under which that word appears. This of course assumes that all icons have been labeled with alt text. If not, searching for icons does us absolutely no good.
Contrary to what you obviously believe, even Microsoft's documentation does not exclusively employ icon and mouse-oriented language. If Microsoft has finally come to understand that inclusive language will ultimately help sell more of their product to the blind and otherwise disabled, you, as a blind woman, should have no trouble understanding that the technological vocabulary we've developed is not inferior to the more ubiquitous sighted vocabulary. While being able to translate into pedestrian sightling computerspeak can be a valuable skill, no one will be left behind if they say "activate" rather than "point and click".
Your music teacher sadly internalized a very outmoded thinking about blind assimilation--namely, that we must constantly think and act as though we were sighted, completely denying and denigrating our valid reality. I have read Braille music fluently for forty years. In many ways, I consider Braille notation more efficient and comprehensible than print notation. Yet, I've taught dozens of sighted students to read their staves from scratch because I followed my blind theory teacher's advice to "Learn the staff, Orly. You'll need it someday when you teach." Although I can teach the staff in my sleep, I make no bones about the fact that I never have, and never will, think in terms of the pictorial perspective that staff notation represents.

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090