Devin Prater

You know, it would be pretty great to have a listing of the icons and what they mean, for that purpose, so users can look them up if they see them in an article or forum post. Although, some of them make sense, like the paperclip, but only if they're used to an office setting, where paperclips clip papers together, and are used to the idea of email being maybe shown as literal mail... Or maybe that's Word that shows what you're writing on as actual paper, a literal WYSIWYG experience.
Devin Prater

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 11:45 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 12:38 PM, Devin Prater wrote:
Also, I would hope no blind people would use the deliberately obscure, for us, language of "hamburger icon," "paperclip icon," and such like that, unless the screen reader reads it like that.
-
Actually, I'd hope that they do, but, and it's a big one, twinned with what gets announced.  For example, "Hit the hamburger stack/menu button," or, "Get to the paperclip/attachment button."

The reason I say that is you will, eventually, be given instructions by a kindly but clueless sighted person who says, "Click on the paperclip button," because that's what they see and they know, implicitly, what it does.  It's really handy to have had someone who's instructing you give you the sighted/announced pairs just because you're likely to be confronted with only the former at some point.

But I do agree that, particularly if the audience is a blind one, I'd likely reverse the ordering of the twins, giving the announced name (or something awfully close to it, I never remember them all, perfectly) first with the icon description afterward.

       ~ Brian Vogel