On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 12:41 PM, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
To be fair, I've also searched online and found the perfect answer in the very first result. This is all to say that online searches are not always faster than posting questions to email lists.
-
To be fair to me, that was never stated nor implied.  That doesn't change the fact that you (the generic you) should at least give a web search and/or archive search a try when you have a question that any sentient adult would strongly suspect has already been answered.  And let's not pretend that most do not recognize that class of question.  And if you, the generic you, realize you don't know how, and get called out for having asked something that's been answered a thousand times, then please ask how you could have gone about finding this information, because you could have.

I will say that the reason you've likely never encountered any exchanges about web searches and skills on most blind-centric lists is precisely because the culture on many of these lists treats them as simple Q&A with no expectation of prior effort.  And I can say that having been on them for years now, myself.  There is a pernicious attitude that if I want to ask, I ask, and that if anyone gives grief about that that the grief-giver is "the bad guy."   Sorry, but no.  It is long past time that these groups not be treated that way, and the only way that will change is if enough of the membership who knows that doing so is irritating and counterproductive starts expressing that and pushing back.  I certainly haven't had any success on that front as a virtual lone voice in the wilderness.  In fact, most times I get the, "But not everyone knows how!," tossed out as though I don't know this.  I do know this, and I was once in the "doesn't know how," camp.  We all were, about virtually anything we may be anywhere from just OK to wildly proficient in doing.  You don't get there by not doing it and you certainly won't get there if there is a significant contingent that won't insist you do so, and engage in the admittedly harder work in the short term of helping you to establish those skills.

       ~ Brian Vogel