Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 12:12 PM 1/4/2021, Brian Vogel wrote:
Some of the longest conversations I've had with a very dear friend of
mine who's been totally blind since birth, and who's my Mom's age,
have been about the chasm that is color. As you have said elsewhere,
she can certainly understand that it constitutes a classification
based on vision as an abstraction, but it is absolutely impossible for
it to be anything else.? ? Even for the sighted, color description
except within classes such as blue, red, etc., is exceedingly
difficult when you get into shades, tints, and variations on a
color. And they all get described mostly using whatever the base
color is. I could no sooner describe blue, just plain blue, to
someone sighted than I could to someone blind. It is a visual axiom
- you simply recognize it - you don't really have any way to describe
it other than itself.? There are many aspects of vision that cannot
be translated in any meaningful way to language and the same is true
(as you'd well know) of sound. Most sound descriptions related to
instrumental characteristics are well-nigh impossible to describe as
other than, "it sounds like . . ."? The complexities involved in what
actually creates that sound are, even if qualified in language quite
precisely, not anything like hearing it.? They are their own
auditory axioms.

That's what makes each sense unique. although there is considerable overlap between senses, each sense has its own axioms. At a certain point, you have to taste foods to know how they taste, hear sounds to know how they sound and see colors to know how they look. The trick is in correctly estimating where the gulf between sensory translation and axiom begins.
A high school teacher once described blue too me by running my fingers along the tiled walls. But, when people talk about the blue sky or feeling blue, I don't imagine tiles. Besides, just like the artificial construct of race, color is an arbitrary pigment taxonomy, arbitrary in the sense that the exact amount of pigment between primary colors and shades is undefinable.
Then, some of the analogies are just downright confusing. Black is supposed to mean darkness, an absence of all color. Yet, when the color drains from faces, we don't say that people go black; we say they go pale. To say nothing of the terrible term "colored" for Black people. How can they be simultaneously dark and colored?

Orlando