tim

When I worked for verizon. That is just how I had to work it. You have to know those symbols to mouse click on, because keystrokes are not a mouse users friend.
now the team had from born without to those that lost sight. So symbol chatter was a must and key strokes only for our side and symbol talk for customer and that is how verizon demanded it.

On 1/4/2021 12:45 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 12:38 PM, Devin Prater wrote:
Also, I would hope no blind people would use the deliberately
obscure, for us, language of "hamburger icon," "paperclip icon," and
such like that, unless the screen reader reads it like that.
-
Actually, I'd hope that they do, but, and it's a big one, twinned with what gets announced.  For example, "Hit the hamburger stack/menu button," or, "Get to the paperclip/attachment button."
The reason I say that is you will, eventually, be given instructions by a kindly but clueless sighted person who says, "Click on the paperclip button," because that's what they see and they know, implicitly, what it does.  It's really handy to have had someone who's instructing you give you the sighted/announced pairs just because you're likely to be confronted with only the former at some point.
But I do agree that, particularly if the audience is a blind one, I'd likely reverse the ordering of the twins, giving the announced name (or something awfully close to it, I never remember them all, perfectly) first with the icon description afterward.
       ~ Brian Vogel