I don't know in this example, just what is being done or if you need to understand the concept visually. You can illustrate the concept of a wave without vision. You can use whatever method you like to make a line moving up and down across a page. You could then make another line that meets or doesn't meet the first line which I assume is what is meant by 0 crossings, having two waves that never meet anywhere. That might be one way of having a tactile representation of what is meant. I've never seen but it was explained to me that waves move up and down. I don't recall if a water wave was used as an example, but anyone who has gone swimming in a body of water large enough to have waves has felt waves pass.

I would imagine there are some things that can't be explained in other terms than vision but there are a lot of things that can be.

From: Chris Smart
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2021 12:32 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Admin's Notes Re List Conduct, Please Read #adminnotice

Brian. I agree, now that I think about it a little more.

Ok, how about this?

If you have never felt a wave, be it an ocean wave, or some physical representation of a sound wave, a sine wave, if you don't have that concept of it going up and down, do you understand the concept of zero crossings?

There. No visual terminology. :)

I'm finding this whole discussion fascinating, even though it is clearly off-topic.

I'd love to know why Sarah's email signature is so bloody big, why she deems all that stuff to be important, but I'll leave that for another discussion. Oh wait, I didn't!

On 2021-01-04 1:29 p.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 01:00 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
Orlando, if you don't think of wave forms in at least a rudimentary visual way, how do you understand the concept of zsplicing the audio at zero crossings then?-
The following is asked sincerely, with zero snark intended, and may not apply to Orlando specifically: How does one think of something in a visual way if one has never had vision?

I honestly do not understand how this would be possible in any meaningful way. There's certainly got to be a conceptual schema one uses, but it could not ever rely on vision in the way those that have it, or have had it in the past, would do it visually.

To me, talking about a visualization of something is not just meaningless, but impossible, without having had the sensory experience of vision. Just like talking about how something sounds (or thinking about how it sounds, to be more accurate) is meaningless and impossible for someone who has always been totally deaf.

I'm trying to wrap my head around what seems to me to be a literally impossible thing. But I do not have the lived experience, either, so I'm listening.

~ Brian Vogel