Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 12:15 PM 1/4/2021, Gene wrote:
You live in a sighted world. You are not in a sighted world
meaning that you must think and do everything as a sighted person does. You are blind and there are certain things that need to be done differently or work better because other senses than sight are being used.

Excellently phrased!

I don't read print by getting books with raised print letters. I
read Braille. I determine when a light is in my favor by listening at a street corner. When I use a computer, I think in terms of keyboard commands unless the situation requires me to do otherwise. I obviously don't use a mouse most of the time.
There are people who would and who do benefit by knowing how to
translate sighted computer instructions into keyboard equivalents or, if the program doesn't provide for that, using a virtual mouse. there are blind people who don't, such as someone whose only interests are browsing, e-mail, a certain amount of word processing, as examples. Saying you will be left behind is such a broad generalization that it is meaningless.

This crapola about being left behind is the latest sighted tactic in keeping us out and changing nothing to accommodate us. I have a doctoral degree in music theory, yet I've been quietly denied employment under various trivial pretexts. Like me, plenty of blind folks have earned advanced degrees in technical fields, the sciences and humanities, only to be left behind, not because of how we use computers, but because sightlings use their power to neutralize us. If expertise in sighted culture and language actually benefited the blind, 75% of us wouldn't still be unemployed or working crappy minimum-wage jobs with no opportunities for advancement.
It's very convenient for the sighted world to maintain that if we're being left behind, it's our fault for being insufficiently conversant with its workings. But there are blind programmers and web designers on these very lists who eke out their livings, while their sighted counterparts merely point and click at object libraries and select from prefabricated code modules rather than write their own.

Orlando