Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 12:38 PM 1/4/2021, Brian Vogel wrote:
Most computer instructional material is not, and never will be,
written in keyboard centric language with screen reader output
noted. I can't think of a single user of a computer who has never,
even once, needed to look up how to do something, however simple.
If you cannot use instructions written with a sighted audience in
mind, at all, then you will very rapidly get "left behind." ? As
others, including yourself, I believe, have said every individual,
regardless of their sensory palette, lives in the world at large.
And if they cannot negotiate that world with compensations
appropriate to their situations, they will get left behind (and,
sadly, often do - and often play their own huge roles in that occurring)
Let's keep in mind that this thread began with Sarah's assertion that she teaches blind students using exclusively sighted terminology and procedures, even though she is also blind and could easily use more inclusive language, concepts and procedures.
A linguistic analogy may be in order here. In most South and Central American countries with sizable indigenous populations, both indigenous languages and Spanish are used. However, only Spanish is taught in schools and used in official capacities. Quechua or Nahuatl speakers understand all too well that if they expect to get ahead in a Spanish-centered world, they had better become fluent in Spanish. However, they still speak their indigenous languages among themselves, both in efforts to keep those languages alive and to affirm their sociocultural identities.
The reason these indigenous languages are either extinct or almost so is that both Spanish colonial administrations and upwardly-mobile indigenous people actively suppressed indigenous languages wherever they were spoken, even in villages and homes to the point where earlier generations of indigenous people forbade their children from speaking their languages. These probably well-meaning parents figured that if their children never learned their ancestral languages, they would have no trouble assimilating Spanish and not get "left behind". No surprise, Latin America's indigenous people are its poorest, under-educated and under-employed. Only now, they're also largely languageless, their languages having literally died off because various forces became convinced that they were categorically inferior.
So, I'm just going to come out and say this in plain language: We blind folks, especially among ourselves, deserve to discuss technologies and all other aspects of our lives using language developed by and for us, rather than foreign language inherently designed to exclude us. Anyone refusing to use accessibly inclusive language with blind/disabled people is as evil and heartless as all our able/sighted adversaries who actively discriminate against us. In political terms, this position is treasonous and seditious.
Orlando