Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 12:45 PM 1/4/2021, Brian Vogel wrote:
The reason I say that is you will, eventually, be given instructions
by a kindly but clueless sighted person who says, "Click on the
paperclip button," because that's what they see and they know,
implicitly, what it does. It's really handy to have had someone
who's instructing you give you the sighted/announced pairs just
because you're likely to be confronted with only the former at some point.
But I do agree that, particularly if the audience is a blind one, I'd
likely reverse the ordering of the twins, giving the announced name
(or something awfully close to it, I never remember them all,
perfectly) first with the icon description afterward.
Windows is completely translated into dozens of languages. When Chinese or Japanese speakers do tech support for their compatriots, they don't use English terms for Windows elements because those elements have all been translated into their languages. While Hindi or Hebrew speakers understand that they must know English in order to talk about Windows with non-Indians or Israelis, they aren't burdened with the task of learning English just to use Windows.
This is a good analogy because we as blind people have allowed ourselves be bamboozled out of rights that all non-English speakers have. Every software manufacturer knows that if they don't produce translated versions, they won't sell product to non-English speakers. Yet, no software manufacture--large or small--has been made to feel similar pressure about producing (for lack of a better word) blind versions or translations. This is because non-English speakers petition software manufacturers to produce translated versions. Those who know English even offer to do these translations for free. Whereas, we have people among us insisting that our language is provincial, inferior and the primary reason we keep getting "left behind". Sighted Spanish and Portuguese speakers

don't get "left behind" for being unable to use Windows in English. Microsoft has never arrogantly maintained that they must learn English in order to use Windows because that position would constitute economic suicide. Only us blind people have been ingrained with such self-loathing that we would ridiculously insist, when communicating with each other, to use exclusively sighted terms such as points, clicks and icons, when we have a perfectly functional keyboard-oriented language of our own.
Orlando Enrique Fiol