Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 12:55 PM 1/4/2021, Brian Vogel wrote:
I will say that the reason you've likely never encountered any
exchanges about web searches and skills on most blind-centric lists is
precisely because the culture on many of these lists treats them as
simple Q&A with no expectation of prior effort. And I can say that
having been on them for years now, myself. There is a pernicious
attitude that if I want to ask, I ask, and that if anyone gives grief
about that the grief-giver is "the bad guy." Sorry, but no.
It is long past time that these groups not be treated that way, and
the only way that will change is if enough of the membership who knows
that doing so is irritating and counterproductive starts expressing
that and pushing back. I certainly haven't had any success on that
front as a virtual lone voice in the wilderness. In fact, most times
I get the, "But not everyone knows how!," tossed out as though I don't
know this. I do know this, and I was once in the "doesn't know how,"
camp. We all were, about virtually anything we may be anywhere from
just OK to wildly proficient in doing. You don't get there by not
doing it and you certainly won't get there if there is a significant
contingent that won't insist you do so, and engage in the admittedly
harder work in the short term of helping you to establish those skills.

We've all heard the possibly apocryphal Chinese adage, "Give a man fish and feed him for a day; teach him how to fish and feed him for life."
In many of thOrlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090