On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 05:36 PM, Don H wrote:
So do I understand it correctly that posting to this list should be your last option to get help after doing a search for the answer?
-
I would say that, "Posting to this list should be what you do only after doing a search for the answer."  Whether that's a web search, an archives search, or both will vary.

Calling it a "last option" is a phrasing I would not use.  But it certainly shouldn't be the first option when you (the generic you) have every reason to believe that a question has likely been asked and answered, often innumerable times, already.  I really, truly, honestly do not get why this is even in the slightest bit controversial.  Y'all know from your own experience here and elsewhere just how much unnecessary repetition occurs because not even the slightest research was performed before asking.  Had it been, the question would never have been posted in many cases.

       ~ Brian Vogel