Re: Admin's Notes Re List Conduct, Please Read #adminnotice

Gene

A discussion of the sort would likely have to include information such as looking at a series of messages efficiently on a Groups.io page and if you search using something like Google, how to read forums efficiently.

I should add that I generally don't see Brian give individual members a hard time about searching.

If something like this is done on the chat list, perhaps saving and organizing the messages into a sort of tutorial might be useful if the messages, taken together, give good information that will allow for good searching.

If expanded slightly, such a tutorial might help many people with general Internet use.

Also, I don't know how much the NVDA training material teaches about how to use the Internet but if it does so in detail, it might be useful to make that well known since, unless things have changed, using the Internet well was one of the most lacking skills many years ago based on what I observed. Even many people who generally knew how to use computers well had problems using the Internet.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2021 5:23 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Admin's Notes Re List Conduct, Please Read

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 05:57 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
I am so technologically challenged that most manuals are not written in a vocabulary or step order that I am able to follow.-
And you're far from alone in that. Believe me, even for computer geeks there is an awful lot of documentation that leaves a very great deal to be desired.

Betsy, you know I've lent you a hand directly on occasions, and I would be happy to keep doing so in regard to polishing your web and/or archive search skills such that you know the process for zeroing in on what you're looking for in a very great many cases. That would be a great Chat Subgroup topic for any and all who want to join in and improve such skills.

It's impossible to get things such that you will likely get the one and only answer that's the one you prefer, but at least you can get something that will allow you to plow through the minimum number of search results to get maximum information. It's an art form where, when teaching it, I try to teach people to "aim for the middle by being as specific as one reasonably can," then either becoming less specific if you get nothing or next to nothing, or supply a few more specific terms in the search if you're inundated by many thousands of results. You, and anyone, can develop the skill that allows you to turn a fire hose down to a syringe and any volume in between.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Join nvda@nvda.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.